Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Next Best Thing...

I'm going to go off topic today and talk about something beside preforeclosure short sales. I'll get back on short sales in the very next post. I still think you will find this worth reading.

My 2nd cousin is in the Navy and is a Commander of a supply and Search and Rescue helicopter squadron. He invited us to a Change of Command Ceremony in Norfolk, VA this weekend. He will be stepping down as Commander but going on to 3rd in command of a large ship. The ceremony was to reward him for a job well done.

It was really exciting watching all of them in their dress uniforms, walking in formation, saluting. All different to me, a non military girl from the mid-west.

I was thrilled to be included in the ceremony. I have to admit that all we did...after the ceremony...was party. er...celebrate! But it was an honor to be invited.

Here where I am, the Midwest, far from coastal bases and any other military commands or daily reminders that we have military to keep us free, and a female well over the age of thinking about being the brave, the few, etc. I take for granted the men and women that put their lives on the line for our freedom every day.

I have to say the people under Michael's command love their jobs and their commander and that has to make everything - leading and following - easier. But to get up every day, knowing that you are training to one day be in battle and have the choice of their life or yours, has to be a thought provoking, get the most out of today kind of life.

Our military men and women will never be monetarily rich but they are rich in non-monetary matters. It seems to me they would be closer to their families, their God, each other - the things and people that give them strength and courage.

Is our faith that strong?

My cousin must have told me a dozen times how glad he was that I was there. He introduced me to everybody as his cousin from Ohio - who came so far to see him. It was really a small thing., at least in my mind. I am very proud of him and I wanted to see the ceremony. I felt like I gave so little but I got so much out of the weekend and I brought him so much pleasure just by being there. (It made picking up the wrong suit case at the airport and forgetting my camera so incidental.) Sometimes the little things we give of ourselves have exponential power to others and we don't even realize it.

If you have ever seen me speak at an OREIA dinner or even at my boot camps when the topics get emotional, I am. Emotional that is. This ceremony was that way too. Michael was a man who loves his job and the 230 men and women who serve under him...and leaving them all behind. He is a man whose family showed up to support him in this event. He is a man who turns over the leadership of his command to his 2nd in command, a trusted confident, a perfect transition, but leaving behind what he had built and loved over the last 2 years. It was an emotional event.

Reach out to someone and give of yourself. See how great it feels. That small act you give may just get your next short sale closed. Are the two related? Hard to say. The Universe is a large and mysterious thing and I believe they are all connected.

Say a prayer for our soldiers. No matter what your opinion of the war, these men and women give their time, days, and lives for us to be free and to have the freedom to be rich if that is what we choose.

Deb
Taking time out from short sales to be grateful for what I have and what I can give



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home